JLC Chronograph

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
daniel5050

JLC Chronograph

Postby daniel5050 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I came across the watch below and I had two questions:

1) There aren't a ton of examples that I can find of these JLC triple register chronographs with horned lugs. This looks very similar to the example on page 79 of Zaf's book, but the sub-dials look different (they resemble the chrono on page 78). Does anyone know if this particular dial configuration was used on this reference, or is this likely a restored dial? Also, the hands don't look quite right vs. the example in Zaf's book.

2) The movement referenced is a Valjoux 71, but I thought JLC's used Valjoux 72s in these chronographs from the mid-fifties. Does anyone know if Valjoux 71s were used as well?

Thank you!
Attachments
JLC Horned Lugs.JPG

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: JLC Chronograph

Postby zafbasha » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi, it's definitely a Val 72. I can't tell 100% on the dial, but I am leaning towards it being restored form photos. Should have SWISS at 6:00 on this model.

daniel5050

Postby daniel5050 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate the response.

It's a quirk of the picture, but there actually is a swiss at 6 o'clock, just impossible to see the way the watch is photographed. Was there anything else that jumped out at you as far as pointing towards a redial?

Much appreciated!

Daniel

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:56 am

The LeCoultre itself seems malformed and listing down to the left, but that may just be the photo. Print on these should be sharp and black in tone, not a milky gray. You really need to have it in hand to be sure.

daniel5050

Postby daniel5050 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks Zaf,

You're right - the LeCoultre itself isn't quite right, the "L" in particular looks off under a loupe. Back to the dealer, who's being very reasonable. Disappointing as it's an amazing watch.

If on the off-chance you have a source for an unrestored version of this reference I'm definitely an interested buyer. The case shape and lugs are beautiful.

And thank you for the insight!

Best,
Daniel

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:56 am

Glad to be of help. Good to see you had it in had, that's really the final say.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”