what date is this vintage Jaeger from?

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
swatlas

what date is this vintage Jaeger from?

Postby swatlas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Listed as a 1955, which is important to me. Chronograph, 38mm diameter. Manufacture movement column wheel caliber 285.

Thanks, just want to be as sure as possible about the year of production. I realize it may not be so definite.
Attachments
mechanism.jpg
face.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: what date is this vintage Jaeger from?

Postby zafbasha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Almost impossible to date chronographs to the year, but I can give an approximation on SOME models based on the case back serial number.

swatlas

Postby swatlas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Here is the case back
Attachments
Screenshot_20170119-165523.png

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 pm

I can not date it authoritatively, but 1955 is a good guess.

I only have info on the watches made completely made by Universal Geneve (for Jaeger) and this is not following that serial number scheme.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

If it's a watch you're trying to buy, I'd take a really hard look at that dial, it's likely refinished.

swatlas

Postby swatlas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks so much, really appreciate it.

swatlas

Postby swatlas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 am

By the way, assuming it has been refinished, what does that do to the value? Significantly reduced?

swatlas

Postby swatlas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:29 am

Here is what the seller replied to my question about the dial (I would appreciate your opinion on what this means to the value of the watch):

"All parts of the watch are original. The dial is also the original dial, and it's a new coating on the dial, that means: The old lacquer
was professionaly removed and smoothly coated a new UV-protective lacquer on the original dial. This was made by the manufacturer, who produces the dials for the Swiss manufactures (VC, JLC, IWC).
The indices, hands and colorcoating were not touched."

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am

Sounds like the seller is trying to tell you it's refinished in a roundabout way.

swatlas

Postby swatlas » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:48 am

Yes, but what does that mean to me in terms of the value of the watch? Assuming a watch has been refinished, does that reduce the value and if so, is that reduction significant? Thanks.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”