Rolex Oysterdate model 6066

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
demby

Post by demby » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Deceased relative left this to me. I believed it was purchased in early 1960's. Original owner wore it for a few months, decided he didn't care for it and left it in a drawer for the next five decades. It's a bit dirty and I haven't attempted to wind it or reset the hands for fear that it is dry of lubricant and that I might damage it.

Numbers of the case sides are 6066 and 817148.

I've submitted these same photos to a dealer in California whose name I saw on another form, but they want me to Fedex the watch to them without really providing me any surety of its return. Is that the common practice in watch appraisals? Surprises me , if so. Should I stop being paranoid and send it to them?
Attachments
DSCN5679.JPG
DSCN5683.JPG
DSCN5685.JPG

demby

Re: Rolex Oysterdate model 6066

Post by demby » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:31 pm

UPDATE: the California dealer has emailed me saying their MAXIMUM offer would be $500, depending on actual condition.

I'm wondering if I might not do better just to Ebay it, "as is." Opinions?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Rolex Oysterdate model 6066

Post by zafbasha » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:27 pm

That's too low, you'd get 800 and up on eBay.

WarnerHak

Post by WarnerHak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 am

In collector circles this watch would trade in the 700-800 range. I dont have any info on the model, but from the serial it dates to approximately 1943-44.