Originality and Appraisal of this JLC

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
slique12

Originality and Appraisal of this JLC

Post by slique12 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello,

I'm a new member on the forum - thanks for having me.

I'm seriously considering this JLC and wanted your thoughts on its originality and opinion on its appraisal.

Info from seller:
- dial, hands and movement are all original
- movement is the manual Calibre P469A
- the watch is in 31mm size which I find surprising as I usually see these watches between 33-34mm

I have a couple more pics of the crown and the case if that helps.

Thanks for your time and help.
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
1.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Originality and Appraisal of this JLC

Post by zafbasha » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:43 am

Looks good to me, watches that are smaller, even when fairly nice like this one, struggle to go over $600-700.

It might be a French market watch.

slique12

Post by slique12 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm

zafbasha wrote:Looks good to me, watches that are smaller, even when fairly nice like this one, struggle to go over $600-700.

It might be a French market watch.
Thanks for your input. You are spot on as this watch is indeed listed by a French seller at around $720USD. I'm still contemplating whether it's too small.
- What would similar watches in 33-34mm size go for? $900-$1000?
- Also, here's another watch (images attached) I'm considering - German Military Issue, 31mm, Manual wind JLC calibre 463, untouched case, dial and hands. Listed online by a UK dealer for 800pounds. Thoughts on condition and appraisal please?

Thanks again.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:22 pm

I think long term you will be happier with 100% stainless steel cases, the German issue has never been proven on that model and it's a chrome plated top. It might be replated as well.