1934 Le Coultre Uniplan (US)

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
hortond2000

1934 Le Coultre Uniplan (US)

Post by hortond2000 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:19 am

Odd duck here. This watch came in a stainless steel case (25X40mm with 20 mm lugs) with a Longines 1068Z movement. I know Longines was the US distributor for several Swiss brands in the 30's but thought the components were shipped here to be assembled in the US for tax reasons. The case back has a matching serial number to the movement as well as matching front and back case model numbers but no hallmark stamp to indicate who cased or timed it. Longines says the watch was manufactured in 1934 so they at least acknowledge it as theirs which they don't do for Longines/Wittnauer watches due to the assigned serial numbers. The watch was sold on ebay as a Longines but I bought it to repair and sell as a Le Coultre. I'm sure the Le Coultre purists won't be interested but is the watch worth anything? A NOS Longines mainspring has it running like a horse and keeping decent time. I haven't been able to find any information concerning what all Longines was putting their movements into back then but I think It's legit. Your thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_1116.jpg
1934 Uniplan

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: 1934 Le Coultre Uniplan (US)

Post by zafbasha » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:35 am

I'm pretty sure it's a Longines with a dial that has been refinished as a LeCoultre. Even for LeCoultre at the time, this would be very unusual.

hortond2000

Post by hortond2000 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:11 am

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry about the inverted picture. What puzzles me about the watch is there's no stamps inside the case back besides the serial and case numbers and Acier Innox (stainless steel) The space for that is empty. I like the watch. It's real solid and feels good to wear. 85 years old and it doesn't look any different than some of modern watches now. (besides the dial) It looks like I'll be hanging on to it. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1121.jpg
Case Back

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:30 am

Looks like a Swiss-made Longines case.