How to set the Heuer Bund without risk of stem seperation

Covering vintage military watches up until about 1980, all questions will be researched and answered, but please post a picture with your inquiry. This is done with the "upload attachment" button.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
zafbasha
Site Admin

How to set the Heuer Bund without risk of stem seperation

Post by zafbasha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

As we all know, the Heuer has a one piece tub and this design requires a split stem i.e. the winding stem is in two pieces. If you pull hard enough, one piece will stay inside the movement and one piece will stay in your hand attached to the crown. There is also the potential of breaking the female part of the stem once it separates, so I've put together a small video of how to set one of these watches while minimizing the changes of a stem separation.

1. In winding mode, turn the crown backwards 3-4 times.
2. Pull out the stem into setting mode ONLY using your nail & fingers. Avoid pulling hard with your arm.
3. Push it back in when done in to winding mode.

You'd think this is a bit of overall kill, but I can't tell you how many of these I get in each year will separated stems.

Video here:
http://www.classicwatch.com/graphics/set_heuer_bund.mp4

jef33

Re: How to set the Heuer Bund without risk of stem seperation

Post by jef33 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:47 am

I guess it's to avoid that

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: How to set the Heuer Bund without risk of stem seperation

Post by zafbasha » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 am

Exactly.