LeCoultre Shark Diver

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
tintintin

LeCoultre Shark Diver

Postby tintintin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:47 am

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, but not to Jaeger LeCoultre.

I do have a question about a potential purchase though:

I am aware that the US movements had three lines of text including the number of jewels etc.. but on this movement there is a 4th line that I have not seen before on the LeCoultre Valjoux 72. 'Swiss' on the Y bridge - It seems in keeping with the 'Swiss' marked on the train wheel bridge from a font type and maybe the markings varied ?

I do have ' A guide to the collector' (which is fantastic BTW) but I can't see a reference to this that may help - Ultimately I am trying to ascertain if this watch looks genuine before I look to buy it.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Rgds, Will

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: LeCoultre Shark Diver

Postby zafbasha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:47 am

I see what your are saying, but it doesn't bother me. There are variants, though yes, one would expect 3 lines.

I think the watch is fine. Do the warranty papers macth the watch?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 am

tintintin

Postby tintintin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks Zaf,

That was my gut feel - I guess there were variants over time.

Guarantee paper is blank so it may well have been gathered separately over time.

Do you know if the shark diver had a criss cross crown normally or were they blank or did they vary ?

I was at the opening of the JLC London store last year and they had a great book that referenced all the compressor style diver variants (Master Mariner barracuda, Shark Diver, Deep Sea variants etc..) - I'm interested to know why you decided to leave some of these out of your book.

Thanks very much for your help.

Will

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:17 am

The Shark is included in the next edition of the book.

At the time of the book (2008), I did not have a nice enough example of the Shark to include, but I know have a full set example in quasi unworn condition so it will make the next edition.

The cross as cross hatch, just like the Polaris. Same era plus or minus.

tintintin

Postby tintintin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks Zaf, look fwd to your next book.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”