Inherited Old Watch - Tell me more!

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
Ilja

Re: Inherited Old Watch - Tell me more!

Postby Ilja » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Have an identical with screw back case and 468 movement similar movement serial. A later model with snap back case and 478 movement but same dial was called E 159.
Much later in the 60s this screw back case was used for Marine Nationale Chronometer watches, but with a very limited range of case serials far off yours.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm

The case has an odd SECOND serial #, did you see that?

Ilja

Postby Ilja » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:31 am

Yes Zaf, saw the 7 digit number which seems a somehow later addition. Also caseback looks as the watch was worn on a NATO-style strap for a long time.
Since the SOE was active in 1944 it *could* be an issued watch. Guess we need to know more details about the original owner, but 'off board' please.
I will check my watch again over the weekend.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

The so called NATO didn't come out until the 1970s, so it's unlikely that type of strap was used on this watch originally, though it may have had a simple woven under-the-case nylon strap prior to that.

stumblingtrout

Postby stumblingtrout » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Have sent you both a PM with details of the provenance... though the PM won't seem to leave my Outbox. Is that normal?
Thanks
ST

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”