Help with ID. Vintage Jaeger Chronograph

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
bmbm123

Help with ID. Vintage Jaeger Chronograph

Postby bmbm123 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi all,
I am new to the world of vintage watches. Just came across a vintage Jaeger Tri Compax Chronograph with Cal 287 movement in excellent condition. The diameter of the watch is 37.5mm. I was told that the movements, hands, indices, colorcoating and printing were all original and untouched, while only the surface coating of the dial was removed. But I do have doubts as the condition of the dial is too good to be true.

I have also tried to search online to see if there's similar watch for sale. Unfortunately, there's not much information available. I would be grateful if anyone can let me know if this watch is genuine and their comments. Here are the pictures:
IMG_4570.jpg

Many thanks :)
Attachments
IMG_4573.jpg
IMG_4552.jpg

bmbm123

Re: Help with ID. Vintage Jaeger Chronograph

Postby bmbm123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:20 am

Anyone?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:49 pm

It is genuine, but to my eye, the dial looks refinished. Hard to say for sure w/o looking at it under magnification. No way you're taking a dial's clear coat off and having that end result.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Also, the bridge that says "Jaeger" on the movement is not of a frosted texture, whereas the rest of the movement is. I'm not sure I like that.

No you have a shot of the insides of the case back?

bmbm123

Postby bmbm123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:06 am

Thanks a lot for your reply Zaf.

I am new to the vintage watch world and came across this excellent condition jaeger. I know this watch looks too perfect for its age without some polishing or refinished. But I was told by the seller that the movement is all original as well as the hands, crown and dial. Although there's 6 months of warranty, I guess he's not a honest seller after all.
IMG_4571.jpg
IMG_4570-2.jpg
Just downloaded some images of the case. Here you go for your examination:

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:09 am

The watch has definitely been restored. I do not like the unfrosted bridge texture on a frosted movement. So I'm not sure that's how it came originally.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”