Correct buckle/strap for 68 Memovox

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
peacock88

Correct buckle/strap for 68 Memovox

Postby peacock88 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Hello

I'm searching for information about my watch, a Lecoultre Memovox from 1968, Cal k911.

I want to get a period correct strap and buckle for it and wanted to ask if you could enlighten me on this topic.
Am I correct in assuming this type of buckle would be correct? (attached pics)

These are are found in two sizes. 13 and 16mm. Is there any specific size that goes with the Memovox, or could I use both? It would be harder to find a 18/13mm strap though.

If you have any input on this I would appreciate it a lot!
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2018-11-10 kl. 00.34.18.png

gatorcpa

Re: Correct buckle/strap for 68 Memovox

Postby gatorcpa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:19 pm

It is possible that it originally had an 18mm X 13mm strap and buckle like that. It could have also had other combinations.

It is impossible to tell without more information, such as a catalog entry, or production date from the factory.

What you have there is a gold-plated LeCoultre buckle from the 1950's or 1960's. These would have been found on many (but not all) US market LeCoultre watches from that period. BTW, I have seen the exact same design with the names Longines, Universal, and Hamilton inside. They were probably all made by the same US contractor.

You can usually find a couple of the gold-plated buckles for sale on eBay at any point in time. The straps are much harder to find, since that was the item that was designed to wear out. I see maybe 2-3 of these a year and most are so brittle, I would not use them on a watch to be worn. They will not last very long.

You might be better off with a custom-made modern strap.
gatorcpa

peacock88

Re: Correct buckle/strap for 68 Memovox

Postby peacock88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Hello and thanks for your answer. I actually bought this buckle and is having a strap made to my specifications to resemble the vintage slender style.

Ørjan.
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2018-12-05 kl. 05.56.48.png

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”