Hi new to forum looking for JLC info.

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
spud676

Hi new to forum looking for JLC info.

Postby spud676 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi everyone, I've been pointed in this direction by guys over on the TZ.

I recently bought this JLC and I'm looking for any info on it. I've been advised it's possibly a E150 with a cal.478 movement.

Here are some pictures, hope you like it ....

Unfortunately the strap is beyond use as it's too fragile but the watch keeps good time so far. Any info gratefully received,

Thanks,

Spud.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Hi new to forum looking for JLC info.

Postby zafbasha » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:02 am

It's likely a P478 movement but not an E150 as that would indicate that the case has a screw back.

spud676

Postby spud676 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Zafbasha, here a couple more pics. The numbers scratched into the case back are 6,5004 and 251/49. Have you come across this before? Do you have any idea what they may relate to?

I'd also like a replacement strap like the original if anyone knows where I might locate one anywhere in the world. :D

alslater

Postby alslater » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:15 am

.. actually elsewhere I'd suggested it may be a black dial E159 - that last digit does matter. E109 would be a black dial with subseconds (and cal.463), if I recall right.. There was an advert scan posted on purists which suggested E159s could be either of black/white dialled (mine's white).

cheers,
al

spud676

Postby spud676 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:25 am

Hi Al fancy seeing you here. :D You should post the pic of the extremely nice JLC.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 am

The "E" before the reference indicates a waterproof case. So unless they're considering the tight snap back in your example a waterproof case, it can't be an EXXX.

alslater

Postby alslater » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks Zaf - fascinating ..

Was thinking of the scan at http://zegarkiclub.pl/forum/topic/12856 ... C4%85cych/ and the examples cited over on purists - with very few exceptions, what folks call an E159 seems to have a snap back ([1]).

I seem to recall someone dug up that they can crop up with screw backs as per viewtopic.php?t=450&start=10 (and I think Ilja had one?) - but those are few and far between (and for issued, like Hens' teeth..).

.. does that suggest that properly, it should be called a 159 unless its got the screwback, when it becomes an E159 :)

.. mine looks like this for what that's worth:

cheers
al

[1] - the SHOM riff on this pattern all had snapbacks .. ?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 am

"Etanche" as in the catalog means waterproof and why there is an "E" before the case reference. So, if they consider the watch as a snapback to be waterproof (which it really isn't all that much) then the snapback is an E159, if not it's a reference 159. It's plausible that a screw back is E159 and the same watch as a non screwback is a 159.

Looking at these watches, from the catalog, I'd say they're considering the snap back as being waterproof. This model had a tight snap when it was new.

spud676

Postby spud676 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:52 pm

The old strap was to brittle to use so I got another made at Strap Works.

I believe the crown is also not original does anyone know where I could source one from?

Thanks,

Spud.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:13 am

No conventional parts dealer will have original crowns. Since it's unsigned anyway, what you have is pretty close I think. The watch in the thread posted on Jan 3 has an original crown.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”