JLC Memovox Turler. Questions about dial/crowns

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
dougiedude

JLC Memovox Turler. Questions about dial/crowns

Postby dougiedude » Sun May 08, 2016 5:22 pm

I bought this watch in Hong Kong with no opportunity to 'vet' it's authenticities prior to purchase. I did have a watchmaker open it, and I snapped these pictures. Looks to be a 1955 cal 489 movement, and I believe my WM said he saw '489-4' perhaps under the balance wheel.

It's my understanding that Turler was a jewelry retailer that would have their signature placed on the dials of some JLC's and Omega's, and maybe other brands from (as far as I can tell) the 30's to the 50's.

I wonder in this watch, however, besides the 'Turler' signature, if the outside seconds track may also be 'after-factory''? On close inspection, it just doesn't seem as finely applied as the usual factory standard. Am I seeing this correctly'?

The crowns are signed 'LeC', and not 'JLC' as I would have expected. Does this most definitely mean they are replacements?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Doug

(I can post other pictures if necessary, but it seems the server is only letting me do 3 at a time...)
Attachments
Photo May 05, 12 53 09 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 14, 9 39 07 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 14, 4 59 52 AM.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: JLC Memovox Turler. Questions about dial/crowns

Postby zafbasha » Wed May 11, 2016 4:17 pm

The dial looks refinished to me and the crowns are from a USA model.

dougiedude

Re: JLC Memovox Turler. Questions about dial/crowns

Postby dougiedude » Wed May 11, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank you, Zaf,

Disappointing news, although I guess I was asking for it, having not checked before buying.

This one will be returned for refund.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”